During this one-week trip you have the great opportunity to visit a wide-range of Alaska. During a full-day boat trip, enjoy photographing glaciers, ice bergs, seals, sea lions, puffins and whales in Prince William Sound as well as landing and walking on shore amongst beached icebergs. You will be able to photograph landscapes on Kodiak Island. You will observe and photograph bears and eagles along the world-famous coast in Katmai National park while spending three nights at a remote, exclusive fly-in lodge.
We take you to unique locations, far from the tourist crowds. Your lead photo guide, professional photographer Jeff Schultz, has lived in Alaska for over 40 years and has been the official photographer of the Iditarod Sled Dog Race since 1982.
Partners who are not engaged in photography, will also enjoy this unique natural experience and the possibility to observe bears in their natural environment.
This Alaskan photo tour is perfect for both beginners and advanced photographers. There will be a minimum of 6 guests with a maximum of 9.
Partners who are not engaged in photography, will also enjoy this unique natural experience and observe bears and marine life in their natural environment.
June 22 - 29, 2019 -- 8 days / 7 nights
• Anchorage – Whittier– Prince William Sound – Kodiak – Katmai NP – Anchorage
This Alaska photo tour offers an extraordinary number of photographic highlights
- Brown bears, in the world-famous Katmai National Park with fantastic beautiful coastal landscapes, during the ideal season for bear watching with spring cubs!
- Alaska during early summer with beautiful wild flowers and exuberant green natural landscapes
- Exclusive boat tour (for our group only) in Prince William Sound with great photo opportunities: vast glaciers, picturesque mountain landscapes, bald eagles, whales, orcas, otters, seals, sea lions, puffins and beach landing with icebergs on shore.
- Photograph the archipelago of Alaska’s largest island, Kodiak
- Personal support, teaching and assistance from renowned Alaskan professional photographer: Jeff Schultz
- Throughout the whole trip, Jeff will be offering short, hands-on tutorials on relevant photographic topics.
- per person, based on double occupancy
- from/to Anchorage
- Includes all 7 nights’ accommodations, ground and air transportation & meals from first night dinner to last day lunch.
Single supplement $ 500*- (without lodge in Katmai National Park)
This single supplement includes 4 nights in all locations except the lodge in Katmai National Park. Because of the limited number of cabins and short season at our lodge in Katmai National Park, it is necessary for participants to share a cabin (twin beds).
*Single rooms: strictly limited and availability must be checked.
DAY 1 - Leisurely trip to Whittier
After meeting in Anchorage for lunch, Jeff will do a 2-hour classroom session on making the best wildlife and landscape photos. After this we drive down the scenic Turnagain Arm where we stop in various locations for landscape photography. Toward the end of the day we will arrive in Whittier, Alaska in Prince William Sound and overnight there.
DAY 2: Discover Prince William Sound
Today you’ll enjoy a full-day private boat trip, photographing eagles, sea lions, puffins, glaciers, seals, ice-bergs and perhaps whales in Prince William Sound.
In the early morning, we board a boat which is exclusively chartered for our group. We will spend the entire day in the protected bays of Prince William Sound, including two stops for shore photography with icebergs on the beach. The landscape and the giant glaciers will fascinate you. We will return to idyllic Whittier for another overnight stay.
DAY 3: Flight to Kodiak
Today we will take a short drive to the Anchorage airport for our flight to Kodiak, Alaska´s largest island. We will spend the afternoon in the surroundings of the small town of Kodiak and photograph its archipelago. From 1792 to 1804, Kodiak was the capital of the former Russian colony. Nowadays, however, Kodiak is a busy fishing town. The Russian Orthodox Church and the Baranow Museum are reminiscent of the Russian period.
DAY 4: From Kodiak to the Katmai National Park
Today, we will experience another great highlight of this photography tour. A seaplane will take you to our remote lodge along the Katmai Coast in Katmai National Park. The lodge is located on the coast and is close to the famous Hallo Bay. This is where we will spend three nights photographing the famous coastal bears and other wildlife, such as eagles, fox, puffins as well as wildflowers and much more.
Day 5 - 6: Katmai
After breakfast, we will take a boat to observe bears and other wildlife along the coast and in the coves.
In the evening, depending on your preferences, you can either schedule a discussion of the photographs, or you can simply enjoy the lodge´s facilities.
June is an excellent season for bear watching in this region. Following the long winter sleep on the banks of the Katmai coast, the bears gather to feed on the protein-rich mussels. Additionally, they also appreciate the fresh green grass, which, by the way, provides a great backdrop for photographs. The wild flowers should also begin to blossom, from mid-June onwards.
Day 7: Return to Anchorage
In the morning, we resume our search for bears, before our return flight to Kodiak by seaplane. Later in the afternoon, we fly onwards to Anchorage. We will gather for an evening slide show of all of our photographs.
Day 8: End of the Photography Tour
After breakfast, your photography tour will be concluded. You can either take your return flight home or begin your individual supplementary program.
At each of the workshop classroom sessions, Jeff will discuss his methods for shooting stellar wildlife and landscape images as is appropriate for the group. During each days’ outings, Jeff will also talk through his methods for making the best image at the current location with the subject at hand. He is NOT there to photograph his own images; he is there to help you take your photography to the next level. Jeff will also cover the following:
- 10 Tips to making better images no matter where you are
- Composition: Do’s, Don’ts, and New Ideas
- What makes a compelling image
- Use of various types of filters
- Combining shutter speeds and f-stops… and the effects of each
- Equipment: What You Really Need, Would Like, & Don’t Need at All
Besides two Canon camera bodies, Jeff brings lenses from 14mm-400mm and flash with off-camera capabilities, tripod, polarizer and split-neutral density filters.
ESSENTIAL PHOTOGRAPHIC EQUIPMENT:
*At the very least, please bring:
- A DSLR camera with two lenses such as a 24-105mm and a 100-400mm would be ideal.
- Several back up batteries & charger
- Extra media cards for your camera
Ideally, if possible, please also bring:
- Extra camera body
- Lenses ranging from 17mm-400mm
(If you’d like to rent equipment while you are visiting Alaska, we recommend our friends at Stewart’s Photo Shop in downtown Anchorage. Visit them online at: http://stewartsphoto.com/rentals/
- A long telephoto: 400-500mm is ideal.
- A macro lens or extension tubes
- Polarizing Filter - Jeff uses and recommends Singh-Ray
- Graduated Neutral Density Filters:
Jeff carries a 2 and a 3 stop “soft” and "hard" Galen Rowell graduated filters by Singh-Ray. Get a 10% discount on your purchase of any Singh-Ray filters using this discount code: Schultz10 at this address: http://www.singh-ray.com/
- Flash and off-camera cord
- Lens shades & cable release
- Non abrasive, absorbent cloth
- Laptop computer with image editing/processing software - Jeff uses and recommends BreezeBrowser & Lightroom
- Backpack type of carrying case - Jeff uses and recommends Mindshift. Get free shipping and free gear using this link: http://www.mindshiftgear.com?rfsn=507780.a01562
- Any other easily transported photography gear you like to use
In June, the weather in Alaska can be warm or cool. Be prepared for sun, wind, rain and even sometimes snow. We therefore recommend the appropriate functional clothing, applying the principle of layers.
- Dress in layers with synthetic type material, not cotton
- Bring sturdy hiking boots.
- Bring rain gear.
- Your own personal, refillable water bottle or bladder
A complete list of necessary clothing will be sent closer to the workshop date.
The price includes;
- All aspects of the photography workshop-tour
- Tutorials and feedback sessions
- All 7 nights accommodations
- All meals from the first night dinner, through the last day breakfast
- Bear-watching in the Katmai National Park (3 nights)
- Round trip ground transportation according to the itinerary
- Air transportation from Anchorage to Kodiak
- Floatplane flight* from Kodiak to Katmai National Park
- One-day private boat excursion in Prince William Sound
What’s not included
- Air transportation from your home to and from Anchorage, Alaska
- Any personal gear. You must bring your own photography gear, clothing, toiletries and outerwear. There are weight restrictions on gear for the flights (maximum of 50 lbs per person)
- Personal expenses
- Gratuities for lodge guides and pilots
- Optional transfers and excursions
- Any visa and/or airport fee
- Travel insurance/cancellation coverage
* All flying is done “weather permitting”. In Alaska, the weather can be changeable. This means that in bad weather, certain activities and/or transfers (e.g. bush plane, helicopter) may be delayed, or unable to take place at all. In these cases, we will adjust the adventure to do what we can for the weather we have. Jeff Schultz Photography, Amazing Views and our lodge vendor is not responsible for flights that are cancelled due to weather and/or weather delays.
Your safety is ultimately the primary concern.
Physical Requirements: Good to excellent condition
- Degree of Difficulty: Moderate to difficult
- Weather Conditions: Moderate to extreme. August temperatures range from 40° F (4° C) to 65° F (17° C). May experience rain, wind or sun
- Agility: Good to excellent (ability to climb steps into small float plane, up and downhill hiking and traveling on uneven, rocky terrain and spongy tundra)
- Mental Requirements: A flexible and positive attitude is essential
- Activities: boating, riding in trailer of 4-wheeler, hiking to photographic opportunities on uneven tundra and terrain
You will be on this adventure with like-minded people who love photography and the great outdoors as well as expanding their knowledge of the art of taking pictures. The group will consist of international travellers.
Due to the high demand for, and limited number of places on thisAlaskan photo tour, the following payment conditions apply:
Upon receipt of the booking confirmation, a deposit of $1000 of the total amount must be paid immediately. This deposit is NON-REFUNDABLE for any reason.
The outstanding balance is due on or before March 1, 2019.
Cancellation & Refund Policy:
All cancellation requests must be received in writing. Excluding the $1000 non-refundable portion of the deposit, the deposits are refundable ONLY if we can fill your space(s) with another booking. We typically have a waiting list for these trips, but cannot guarantee one will be available should you choose or need to cancel.
We are sorry but there will be no refunds for delays or cancellations because of weather, flights, or other unforeseen reasons before arriving, during or after the photo tour. Jeff Schultz Photography Inc. is not responsible for additional costs which may be incurred by such delays.
We have the right to cancel this photo tour for lack of registrants up to 60 days prior to the photo tour date. In the case that we cancel the photo tour, 100% of your deposit and payments will be returned. However, Jeff Schultz Photography Inc. does not assume responsibility for any other costs incurred by our client because of our cancellation of the trip.
We are sorry, but due to our short season here in Alaska, we are unable to make exceptions, for any reason, to our cancellation policy including medical or family emergencies.
For these reasons, and for medical emergencies, we strongly recommend trip insurance.
Here are a few options for insurance. Review the companies and choose the best policy for your needs:
Terms & Conditions
Attention: This trip is being offered through my Swiss-based partner photo tour operator, Amazing Views Photo and Adventure Tours (www.amazingviews.ch) By reserving a spot on this photography workshop, you agree to the booking and cancellation policies as listed and the Release of Liability specified by Amazing Views.
BOOK YOUR TRIP NOW
Contact us directly if you have questions about the workshop/tour or would like to book directly.
After booking What’s Next? Upon booking we will contact you to confirm your space and see if you have any specific questions we can answer at that time. Then, several months before the workshop, we will e-mail you a list of other essential personal gear, any specialized photography gear we feel will enhance your experience, and more detailed information on where and when to meet for the first day. We will also ask for emergency contact information and medical information.